Wednesday 26 February 2014

Cycling with Eggs!

Just back from my weekly cycle to purchase my organic eggs from Donna of Huevos de Amor.


Beautiful Blue Eggs. 

Donna drives her wares to various locations in Playa Panama. Playa Hermosa and El Coco, where her faithful customers can meet and purchase their pre-ordered eggs and sometimes hard white cheese and grapefruits. For the past month however, Donna's chickens have been going on strike and are laying less and less eggs each week, so much so, that supply does not always meet with demand. Luckily for us, as we consume a lot of eggs, I won the egg 'lottery' this week and was one of the few regulars who were able to have their order filled. 

Once a week, I meet Donna just down the road from the First entrance to Playa Hermosa. It's roughly a 1km ride from our house, nice and easy as it is slightly down hill. The return journey is the one that I struggle with a bit more. I am not really a keen cyclist and never have been. Even as a kid, I was a bit inept and never managed to cycle with one hand particularly successfully, let alone with no hands. Cycle proficiency test? I am not sure if they existed  back in the 70's, did they? And as for wheelies, well forget it, those are just for boys! I hardly even rode a bike as an adult in England, but then the traffic was way too scary. Consequently, my cycling skills are non-existent and I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to passing traffic. 

Luckily, there is very little passing traffic here in Hermosa on a Wednesday morning, or indeed any morning, so I can cycle in relative safety. But on my return journey, laden with 15 freshly laid eggs, I do wobble somewhat: in fact the first time I attempted the expedition, I quickly gave up the two wheels and walked my bike and eggs home instead. I fared a little better on my second trip, cycling all the way back and got home with only one broken egg. Third time, eggs made it home in one piece, but somehow I managed to tear a whole in my bag and nearly lost my keys and YS's mobile phone. 

Today however, I am almost a pro! I cycled back with my bag of eggs hanging from the left handlebar, and my plastics for recycling swinging from the other. At this rate, it won't be long before I can cycle and text at the same time (hmmm, perhaps not!).






No comments: