Wednesday 9 October 2013

Water, water everywhere ...

Dios Mio! 

The first water bill came in today! 

OMG, what a shocker! 

One months water here in Coco has cost us almost the same as a year in the UK!!!!! How the hell did that happen? 

Admittedly water is more expensive here in the Guanacaste region, than in San Jose and the Central Valley, but seriously, there must be some sort of mistake. An acquaintance joked that perhaps we have paid the water invoice for the whole condo; ha, bloody ha! I think we have paid to supply the water for the entire f*****g Octotal mountain!!

A quick flash back to the summer of '76 (I was 5), and I try to recall all the water saving ideas that my Mother and Grandparents practiced. I can only really remember saving the washing up water to water the plants (and of course Bjorg won Wimbledon and I learnt to ride my bicycle without the stabilisers!).

But back to the present and the problem of the price of water. A new regime perhaps? We have to be more water efficient  Unlike the Costa Ricans, who don't appear to conserve their water even though they promote themselves as an environmentally sustainable county (more on that another day I think).

So, no more showering for us then!

In future, Mondays will be allocated as wash-day and all clothes will be laundered in the Pacific Ocean; I shall carry the basket on my head - 1km to the beach and 1km back again (uphill). Note to self, better get fit!

Maybe the rainwater can be saved to wash the dishes. October is the height of the rainy season and we have already been conducting an experiment; we have placed a bucket outside on the balcony, to see how much H2O we can catch - this has been going on for a week now and we have yet to catch a millimeter. 

Perhaps DH would like to lug the dishes to the sea daily to be washed? Part of his weight training programme??


No comments: