Saturday 5 October 2013

Feliz Cumpleaños San Jose.

San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, celebrates its 200th Birthday this month.

It appears that unlike many other bicentennial cities of the world, the government of Costa Rica has not arranged any birthday celebrations for its capital: not even a little pinata party.

Not being a local, I realise that I am not authorised to comment on such things. I will no doubt upset someone somewhere, but I am not sure if San Jose actually has anything to celebrate! It really is a very disappointing capital city. There are few attractions here for the visitor and most tourists just use it as a stop-over rather than an actual destination point. 

I have racked my brain to think of some positive facts to share about this city. I truly am sorry San Jose, but my list of your attributes is short, but hopefully over time I might be able to add to them:

  • the people are very friendly and helpful, as they are everywhere in Costa Rica so it seems;
  • it is relatively safe - in fact it is one of Latin America's safest cities;
  • there is a lovely park to enjoy a leisurely stroll or a game of football; 
  • the taxi's are red; well that makes a change, black is SO last year;
  • they have road signs - odd to list as a positive, but few places in Costa Rica have road signs!
  • and especially for Priya, there is a great Alessi store in the Escazu Multiplaza!


San José panorama

No comments: